Tuesday 15 April 2014

Music Video Analysis- Lana Del Rey Young and Beautiful





Young and Beautiful is a song by Lana Del Rey where she remains the character throughout her video. The music video is directed by Chris Sweeny, who had to create a relationship between the music video and the film 'The Great Gatsby' which is what the soundtrack was for. The song broke into the top billboard 100 peaking at a position of 22


The performance piece is sung by Lana herself. Throughout the lyrics there were hints of desperation which reflect Fitzgerald's characters.I personally like this music video because it is a great example of how good performance music videos are constructed. It provided a lot of inspiration for our video. The video creates an essence of 1920's style which was when the novel was set creating a vivid relationship between the music video and the movie. 


Lyrics 


[Verse 1]
I've seen the world
Done it all
Had my cake now
Diamonds, brilliant
And Bel Air now
Hot summer nights, mid July
When you and I were forever wild
The crazy days, city lights
The way you'd play with me like a child

[Chorus]
Will you still love me
When I'm no longer young and beautiful?
Will you still love me
When I got nothing but my aching soul?
I know you will, I know you will
I know that you will
Will you still love me when I'm no longer beautiful?

[Verse 2]
I've seen the world, lit it up
As my stage now
Channeling angels in the new age now
Hot summer days, rock 'n' roll
The way you play for me at your show
And all the ways I got to know
Your pretty face and electric soul

[Chorus]
Will you still love me
When I'm no longer young and beautiful?
Will you still love me
When I got nothing but my aching soul?
I know you will, I know you will
I know that you will
Will you still love me when I'm no longer beautiful?

[Bridge]
Dear lord, when I get to heaven
Please let me bring my man
When he comes tell me that you'll let him in
Father tell me if you can
Oh that grace, oh that body
Oh that face makes me wanna party
He's my sun, he makes me shine like diamonds

[Chorus]
Will you still love me
When I'm no longer young and beautiful?
Will you still love me
When I got nothing but my aching soul?
I know you will, I know you will
I know that you will
Will you still love me when I'm no longer beautiful?
Will you still love me when I'm no longer beautiful?
Will you still love me when I'm not young and beautiful?


The video starts off with an extremely long shot as Lana walks into a room full of mirrors which lights up as she steps closer perhaps, this is utilised to enhance the issue of vanity within the song but also the movie. It sets the scene and begins to create a strong relationship between the visuals and the lyrics. The director uses a lot of close ups so as the audience we also feel that we can share the characters emotions as she looks deeply troubled with a tear drop on her face. It fulfill's the audiences needs for a demand for close ups. 



The atmosphere is depressing and dark with the shots of the orchestra in the form of a silhouette. The shots throughout do not have much variety to them but it works really well. These visuals and lyrics suggest insecurities regarding appearance and youth. Throughout the close up Lana is constantly playing with her face conveying her obsession with staying young and in love.







The mood of the song remains consistent as she sings with her sexy husky voice. The overall appearance of the music video appears very art deco. Her facial expressions create a direct mode of address as she gives the impression she is worried, obsessive and paranoid. There remains little contrast in atmosphere but it does not matter as it really suits the style of the song. 



In the build up to the bridge the lighting turns red which does show a change in atmosphere. It enhances her desperation to keep her man even after death conveying her love for him as she cannot leave his side. The audience are introduced to a philosophical experience as we see Lana walk through a door which has light soaring out of it suggesting that she is on her way to heaven perhaps where she can stay 'young and beautiful' forever.





As the video progresses it carries on with the same atmosphere. The slow paced depressive atmosphere tells the story all through her performance and all the emotion shared. The whole video represents how vanity can control someones life and the emotions it goes on to share. Overall I think the video works really well. The story is based around vanity and obsession focusing on how that can develop within your life. It visually fits perfectly and creates a really good music video.


No comments:

Post a Comment